Re: Xfree86 and Knoppix (Brian Swale's original problem)

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:09:20PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Xfree86 takes control right from the time Debian boots - before I can
> enter my user-name and password.

It did this to me when I first installed Debian. Unfortunately this was a
couple of years ago so I can't remember quite how I fixed it.
Like you I do not use lilo: I boot into DOS and use Loadlin. Also like you I
did not have a working mouse.

I _think_ I logged in to the GUI, then either I shut it down ("ended my X
session") or opened an xterm (by using keystrokes), then deleted any script
in /etc/rc?.d that looked like it referred to X (ie. seemed to mention X in
its filename).

The "tricky" part was getting to some sort of command prompt. However
"tricky" is a relative term. I managed it using no more info than that which
is in the book "Learning Debian GNU/Linux" that came with my Debian CD, plus
a bit of messing around with whatever weird key combinations I could think
up! Possibly Ctrl-Alt-Fx was involved, but I have a feeling that it was not.

Having got a command prompt I looked in /etc/rc?.d and it was immediately
obvious from the filename which script to blast.

Sorry this is a bit vague. I haven't touched X since I managed to stop it
Linux is the command line interface. To write software that uses graphical
output I use svgalib.

Finding my new installation booting itself with a GUI was a definite
fist-through-the-screen moment. Might I suggest that this feature of the X
installation is a bad idea?

HTH,
Pigeon