Can't Raise A Desktop

I'm new to Debian, having downloaded the ISOs for 3.0 last weekend. I'm having some trouble getting into a desktop. I get the following after entering startx at a prompt:

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 event remaining.

Frankly, I don't know why the matter of a reset peer connection would even be a factor, this being a stand-alone machine used for software testing only. Maybe its God punishing me.

John Lowell