Re: OT: What do Deb-heads do for recreation

Nori Heikkinen wrote:
on Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:40:36AM -0100, andrej hocevar insinuated:

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:22:48PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

Curious what other deb-heads do in the hours they're not at work
or hacking Debian...

I, for instance, am a student of comparative literature and have
published my first book of poetry this year -- so not much of a
professional. :) None of my colleagues have ever heard of anything
non-MS, however one linguist has used LaTeX for his master's degree.
On the other hand, I know two physicians being familiar with Linux.

I fear that most people still think of Linux as something for
hackers or scientists only. I, a bookworm, can prove them wrong! I
see that this discussion could very well become endless, but let's
face it: the vast majority of users still seems to be
computer-professionals ...

i could list one or two dozen people i know running linux for whom
that's not true, but then on second thought they're all CS students,
and will very likely end up fitting into that category within a matter
of years -- all the people i've seen graduate who run linux (or unix
flavors, for that matter) are now professional geeks in some capacity
... all in many different ways, but all definitely heavily involved in
computers.

i'm the only exception to this bunch that i can think of (correct me
if i'm wrong, martin) -- i'm a CS minor (music major), but even if i
had been planning to do something professionally geeky after college,
problems with my wrists sustained from my full-time geek job this
summer have shown me that physically, that's not such a good idea
(especially if i want to keep playing viola).

Not that I'm a part of your bunch but I too would be an exception to the CS norm - shortly I'll be entering my fourth year of an economics program at Queen's University in Kingston, Canada. As it happens, the entire department of economics there runs on Debian servers, and they even have a mirror of the archives, which comes in very useful as very high download speeds can be had from it when I am in Kingston.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV