Re: Xfree86 and Knoppix

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:09:49AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 10:36:08PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> > > So I decided to install  Xfree86.
> > >
> > > Big mistake.  Xfree86 blocks access to all commands,
> >
> > Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't get you back to an ordinary virtual console?
>
> I must be doing something wrong when I launch X, but whenever I do
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, it takes me to the console I logged in from, OK, but no
> prompt, just the most recent message from the X server.  Ctl-Alt-F2 gets
> me an open console to which I can login.  But if you've installed xdm (as
> I suspect Brian means he's done) then every console presents the xdm login
> screen, because (at least as it installed on my box) S??xdm was in _every_
> rc?.d directory.  RH behavior is better here, imo, because it makes
> runlevel 5 the xdm runlevel, so you can switch runlevels and escape
> xdm.  But this may just be me not understanding something basic!

Unless something has drastically changed with XDM, that doesn't sound
right.  Having XDM run under most runlevels should not also translate to
it running on every open terminal.  Debian's default init scripts should
have six "consoles" with any X display manager running on a seventh.
Therefore Ctrl-Alt-F[1..6] should get you a console login in all regular
run levels (i.e. not singular user or shutdown).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>