Re: Xfree86 and Knoppix

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 10:36:08PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> > So I decided to install  Xfree86.
> >
> > Big mistake.  Xfree86 blocks access to all commands,
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't get you back to an ordinary virtual console?

I must be doing something wrong when I launch X, but whenever I do
Ctrl-Alt-F1, it takes me to the console I logged in from, OK, but no
prompt, just the most recent message from the X server.  Ctl-Alt-F2 gets
me an open console to which I can login.  But if you've installed xdm (as
I suspect Brian means he's done) then every console presents the xdm login
screen, because (at least as it installed on my box) S??xdm was in _every_
rc?.d directory.  RH behavior is better here, imo, because it makes
runlevel 5 the xdm runlevel, so you can switch runlevels and escape
xdm.  But this may just be me not understanding something basic!

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman
pwiseman@mindspring.com