Re: HELP with apt!!!

This one time, at band camp, revooh_c@bellsouth.net said:

> HELP,  I was trying to install the user mode linux stuff and had to set apt to use the testing version since it was not found in the stable version (even though the package website says it should be).  Anyway, I am now having problems.  When I try to do the dist-upgrade, it keeps balking on me.  Now my kde install is all screwed up.
>
> Does anyone know how to get around this?
>
> Thanks
>
> -------
> Attached is the output of the dist-upgrade run.

I remember this from one of the KDE upgrades, but I thought it had been
sorted out.  dpkg -i --force-overwrite /path/to/kde.deb should take care
of it.  Some of the files moved from one package to another during the
version cahnge, and dpkg is warning you that it's trying to overwrite a
file from another package.  Once you do this a few times, apt should be
able to continue normally.  man dpkg, man apt for more details.
HTH,
Steve

--
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
		-- P. Erdos