PDFLatex with included graphics

Hi.

I am trying to use pdflatex to create a PDF file of a report, with some
included graphics.  I found a site which said that to make this work,
one needs mereley to use the graphicx package(which I was), specify the
filename without extension(which I did), and then convert  the eps file
to pdf.

The image conversion worked, and I have the original uvtriangle.eps
file, and uvtriangle.pdf, which I can view in acroread.  The PDF file
that pdflatex generates is still missing the figure.

I include the figure like this:

\begin{figure}[htbp]
  \centering
  \includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{uvtriangle}
  \caption{Mapping Performed}
  \label{fig:uvxymap}
\end{figure}

My preamble is:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\usepackage{verbatim}
\usepackage[intlimits]{amsmath}
\renewcommand{\arraystretch}{1.4}
\renewcommand{\matrix}[1]{\mathbf{#1}}

Any idea whats going on?  I'm running woody.

Oh, and one other question.  Is there any inherent advantage to using
pdflatex instead of dvips -Ppdf, then ps2pdf?  Both give you good
looking screen output...

Thanks
Neilen
--
"The only good morning," Stallman growled, "is a dead one."
	--Richard Stallman, as quoted in http://www.crackmonkey.org/travel.html