Re: A lot of choice is not always good

On  0, "W. Paul Mills" <wpmills@Mills-USA.com> wrote:
> kk5st@swbell.net (Gary Turner) writes:
>
> >>My original message
> >>made clear that I think there may be room for more
> >>than one. But there are 10. TEN. I'm saying that
> >>somebody could enhance the value of Debian by
> >>figuring out which 5 could be eliminated from
> >>the distro.
> >
> > Crap!  Debian's (or any market's, for that matter) value is enhanced by
> > the availability multiple, even superfluous, choices.  It's called
> > freedom of choice---even when the choices are trivial.  You're worried
> > by 10 options?  Wait 'til you look for IRC (chat) applications.  As I
> > recall, there were 48 to choose from.
>
> I agree!
> The large number of choices is what brought me to debian to
> start with! The only thing really needed, is a better way to
> find the ones I want to try -- and knowing human nature, I
> probably will never be satisfied on that one.

Most products have a website that will tell you lots about that
product.  A feature I would love to see is the Debian package search
pages including a link to such websites.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
	- Leonard Brandwein

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au