Re: Help! Keyboard and mouse stopped working in X

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 06:49:53PM +1200, Corrin Lakeland wrote:
> Did you try booting into single user mode (linux -s)? You can check
> keyboard and mouse in there (gpm IIRC) and then use startx to bypass
> xdm/kdm (if you run shutdown -r 5 before startx you won't have to do a
> hard poweroff if you lose control).

I have not tried running X in single-user mode, but I have disabled X in
my startup scripts and tried xinit to bypass not only kdm and gdm but
also a window system.  Keyboard still dies, which is the weirdest thing
-- I can understand if it was just the mouse, but the keyboard too!

I did not have gpm installed.  It's just a console thing, right? It doesn't
sound like it has to do with X. But I thought it might be a good test to try
something else that tested the mouse.  When i tested it with the protocol as
autops or imps2, nothing happens when I move the mouse.  When I changed the
protocol to ms, something interesting happens -- the mouse and keyboard both
freeze, the same way they do in X (I'm using imps2 in X, though)!  I have no
idea what this means, but it sounds like this might lead somewhere!
Any ideas?

By the way, the mouse is a Kensington Mouse in a Box (regular ps/2 mouse w/
scrollwheel).  The keyboard is a Dell.

Thanks!

Jen