Help! Keyboard and mouse stopped working in X

I booted my computer this evening and discovered that as soon as X starts, my
keyboard and mouse stop working.  When I say the keyboard stops working, I
mean I cannot switch virtual consoles, cannot kill X -- even when I press the
caps lock key the light on the keyboard doesn't go on.  That's pretty far
gone.

I do not recall installing anything since the last time it worked okay, and I
haven't made any changes to my XFree86-config file.  The last thing I was
working on before shutting down earlier was getting mutt to install from
stable (I'm using testing for everything else). This was just a change to the
/etc/apt/preferences file.  I also did a dist-upgrade which upgraded python,
but I don't think it affected anything else.

I turned off kdm, which was what was running before. I tried xdm and gdm but
they have the same results. So does xinit, which makes me think it's X and
not any window manager or desktop environment.

I do not see any keyboard error messages in any of the log files.  I'm at a
total loss as to what happened. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what might
be going wrong, or at least what to look for?

Thanks!

Jen