Re: apt-get PIN

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I am attempting to setup my system using testing.  I have successfully
> upgraded to testing, but now I want the KDE from unstable.  The only way I
> can get this to work is to include unstable in my sources list.  My problem
> then is that apt-get upgrade seems to want to ugrade my entire system to
> unstable.  I have specified the following:
>
> #/etc/apt/ap.conf
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
> and
>
> #/etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 1001
>
> It still does not want to work.  I ONLY want to upgrade KDE and its
> dependencies, not the entire system (granted, most of the system may upgrade

add :

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 75

This will ensure that no automatic installs of unstable packages will occur.
Now to get a package from unstable do

apt-get -t unstable install kde

You may also want to read the apt-howto (available as a package).

use apt-cache policy to test where a package would come from or apt-get -s
etc.