Re: A lot of choice is not always good

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Dr Nick Jacobs wrote:
> and capacity. There is much less variation in
> what an ftp daemon can provide. My original message

I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

> than one. But there are 10. TEN. I'm saying that
> somebody could enhance the value of Debian by
> figuring out which 5 could be eliminated from
> the distro.

You mean they could enhance the value of Debian for *people that think like
you*.

Put work where your mouth is: do the homework, write a good table on all the
technical merits of every ftp daemon in Debian, then sort it somehow, write
the rationale trying to convince whatever the public you are trying to reach
for of why your sorting is correct, and publish it here.

THEN do the development work of a new Debian sub-distribution that has fewer
ftp daemons (and whatever else you feel we need less choice of -- maybe only
one desktop environment and window manager, and only one web server, only
one shell, and the list goes on and on).  That is probably the only way you
will get what you want.

People who don't, can't or won't do the required work (or provide the
resources needed for that work to be done) simply are not worth the hassle,
so please don't be one of them.

  Henrique Holschuh