"Inconsistency Detected by ld.so..." with apt-get dist-upgrade

I was attempting to dist-upgrade a machine running (mostly) potato to woody
this evening, and eventually got stuck on the package xfonts-scalable. I
can't seem to install, remove, purge, force or do anything with either
apt-get or dpkg that will let me get beyond the problem the system has with
this package. This is on a Sony VaioPCG-SR17 PIII laptop, before the upgrade
mostly potato w. kernel 2.4.17. System is now stuck  1/2 way through upgrade,
and I can't even start X.

The error message I get with _any_ apt-get or dpkg command comes with the
configure script of xfonts-scalable. The following came from an "apt-get
install xfonts-scalable --reinstall", though the same error messages are
returned for any apt-get or dpkg command:

  Running xftcache in Speedo font directory...Inconsistency detected by ld.so:
  dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion '! "bad dynamic tag"'
  failed!
  dpkg: error processing xfonts-scalable (--configure):
   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
   xfonts-scalable

I am fairly familiar with Debian, and with using apt-get or dpkg to get past
upgrade problems, but this one is beyond me. I can't seem to either install,
reinstall or uninstall xfonts-scalable, and cannot continue the upgrade until
this problem is dealt with, so am really stuck.

Does anyone know what is going on here?? What can I do to finish upgrading the
system??

Thanks,

Bruce