Re: mp3 creation

Rob Weir, 2002-Aug-12 09:56 +1000:

> I also second LAME.  There're a few other Free (as in fairly free
> speech) out there, notable BladeEnc and gogo, but they both seem to
> sound worse than LAME (in my rather unscientific tests).  You can get a
> source tarball from http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/.  It might be worth
> compiling from source so that you can use nifty optimisations ("-O3
> -march=<cpu> -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" seem to be popular), and if you
> do, have a look at GNU stow (apt-get install stow), it makes installing
> from source easy as pie.

I use grip as well, and since LAME isn't in Debian/woody, I use
toolame.  It's free and works nicely for me.  Select "other" for the
encoder type in grip and a recommended "MP3 command-line" is "-b 320
-m s %b %w %m".  However, I've used "-b %b %w %m" without problems.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User