Installing a package from an older distribution

I had trouble running the mutt package that comes with sarge, so I went
back to the one in woody (by editing sources.list, including stable and
commenting out the testing lines).  Things work great now, but I would
like to keep the older version of mutt when I do a dist-upgrade. Is there
a way to mark it so that it doesn't get upgraded?

Also, is there a better way to get a package from another distribution
than rewriting sources.list?  I see that there's a -t option for apt, but
this doesn't seem to have an effect. For example, before editing
sources.list, I tried apt-get -t stable mutt.  This went for the testing
version instead.

Thanks!

Jen