Bug? Problems using mutt w/ ssl in Sarge

I just recently installed Sarge.  I tried getting mutt to work with SSL
IMAP, but it told me that gnutls.so.4 was missing. I did a search and
found this file is in the gnutls package in Sid (I guess .3 is current for
stable and testing).  When I run mutt now (using the muttrc script that
works on my woody system), I get this error:

  <hostname>...operation is not possible without initialized secure memory
  (you may have used the wrong program for this task)

Is this a bug?  I would guess so, since if I get the version of mutt from
Woody, it works fine, but I'll defer to people who know more.

Thanks!

Jen