Re: Intel845 and X

Sridhar M.A. wrote:

Hello,

I am currently running Debian woody with X 4.1.0. I have a P4 with
intel845 on board agp. The problem is I am not able to get a better
resolution than 800x600. It looks ugly on a 17" monitor.

Searching the web, including xfree86 and intel sites, did not yield much
information.  The driver I am using is vesa. Does any one having this
board kindly mail me their XF86Config-4 file?  Or any other
hints/pointers to get a better screen resolution?

Regards,

I think you'd get help easier/quicker if you tell a bit more about your problem, like "higher resolutions look like garble on my screen" or "the X server doesn't start with higher resolutions than 800x600".

Try running 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'. Choosing "Advanced" as config option gives you maximum control. The xserver always tries to use the highest resolution specified in the config, so make sure you check the boxes with higher resolutions than 800x600.

Also make sure the amount of video RAM is specified correctly (usually just leave it blank). Check the X log for detected video RAM. The maximum resolution possible depends on how much memory you have and how many bpp you use.

Btw.: I wonder if there is a better server for your card. I tried www.xfree86.org but it might be down at the moment, as I got a forbidden error...

Hope this helps!

Johan