Re: How to find a virtual package?

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 05:39:25AM -0400, Abdul Latip wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> > There is no real package called zendapi-20020429. It is a virtual
> > package provided by both php4 and php4-cgi. Install whichever of those
> > is appropriate to your needs.
>
> Oh, now I know what my problem was. Thank you for all replies,
> and apology for mixing "-" and "_".
>
> May I know how to find a missing virtual package when using "dpkg -i"?

'apt-get install <virtual>' will tell you like so:

  $ sudo apt-get install zendapi-20020429
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  Package zendapi-20020429 is a virtual package provided by:
    php4-cgi 4:4.2.2-1
    php4 4:4.2.2-1
  You should explicitly select one to install.

You can also use grep-available (part of the grep-dctrl package) to search
dpkg's available file if you prefer to do it by hand.