Re: New to Debian --Help, please

Howdy,

* damar thapa <thapadamar@yahoo.com> [020809 18:51]:

<snip>
> =========================
>
> debconf: DbDriver "configdb" error:
> /var/cache/debconf/conffig.dat is locked by another
> process

Sounds like dpkg might be hung and still be running somewhere... ps for it,
then either find it (is it on one of the consoles?) or kill it.

> dpkg: error processing gdm (--configure): suprocess
> post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Setting up xdm (4.1.0-16)..
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
> x-window-system depends on xdm; however: Package xdm
> is not configured yet.
>
> dpkg: error processing x-window-syst4em (--configure)
> depency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Setting up jed-common ....
>
> Errors were encoutered while processing:
>
> gdm
> xdm
> x-window-system.

You don't need both gdm and xdm. So the first thing I would try is to
remove one of them and try again.

For example

apt-get remove --purge gdm

then try and get xdm to work

dpkg --configure --pending

> ================================
>
> I only can guess that it only me be with the x
> configuration  (xdm and so on).
>
> Can any one point me what did I do wrong? Are there
> any  documents on the net, covering both redhat and
> debian side by side?

I'm not sure if you did anything wrong.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.18-lavienx #1 Tue Jun 25 19:07:48 EST 2002