New to Debian --Help, please

Hello to all,

I have few years of experience in administering Redhat
Linux, but I have just installed Debian3.0 after
hearing a lot about its administering tools.

The installation went fine, just using simple process
(not using dselect and still have no courage to dive
into it yet!).

After installation, I use "apt-get install
packageName" to install new packages, but I got the
following messages:

=========================

debconf: DbDriver "configdb" error:
/var/cache/debconf/conffig.dat is locked by another
process

dpkg: error processing gdm (--configure): suprocess
post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up xdm (4.1.0-16)..

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
x-window-system depends on xdm; however: Package xdm
is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing x-window-syst4em (--configure)
depency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up jed-common ....

Errors were encoutered while processing:

gdm
xdm
x-window-system.

I only can guess that it only me be with the x
configuration  (xdm and so on).

Can any one point me what did I do wrong? Are there
any  documents on the net, covering both redhat and
debian side by side?

Any pointers would be hightly appreciated.

Damar

Note on apt-get install <package> = despite the above
error messages, the system can install the packeges.