Re: is booting (a SW RAID1) from a second IDE controller possible?

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 01:36:16PM -0700, Richard Weil wrote:
> I missed the beginning of this thread, so I could be
> missing the point entirely, but it is possible to boot
> from a software RAID setup on a second IDE controller.

Thanks for the input! You were right on track :)
But I guess I will still need a disk on the on board controller where
the bios can find an mbr, right?

> I setup a Promise ata133 ide controller with 2 drives
> attached in RAID1 configuration -- system boots fine.
> In the kernel configuration, in the ATA/IDE/...
> section, select the "Boot off-board chipsets first".

Hmm, I don't suppose this would me configurable via modconf? I like
stock kernels because it's so easy to add modules that way.
But no problem, I'll set up a kernel with that option this weekend
and try it out!

> You should read the help; you'll want to add an
> "ide=reverse" parameter to LILO.

I havn't found any reference to the ide=reverse parameter in the
manpages to lilo or lilo.conf. Any pointers?

Thanks a million!

Greetings,
--
Vinai