Re: file scrubbing

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 00:14, Geoff Crompton wrote:

>   Does anyone know of any file scrubbing tools? Something that will zero out
> the contents of a file, or overwrite it with random data? Previously I have
> done things find the file size, and use
>   $dd if=/dev/zero of=targfile bs=1 count=filesize
>   But I am not certain that this overwrites the actual inode locations on
> disk, and it is clumsy to work out the file size before hand.
>   Something like the following would be great:
>
>   $ scrub -r -R -d dir
>
>   Where the -r would recurse, the -R would randomize it (instead of filling
> with zeros) and the -d would sync and then rm the file.

What kind of filesystem will it be on?  As has been discussed many
times here, journaling filesystems bollix up scrubbers.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| I can't make you have an abortion, but you can *make* me pay  |
| child support for 18 years?                                   |