Re: Can't get fs recognized as ext3

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:09:05 -0500
Lance Simmons <lance@lsimmons.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 01:08:01PM -0400, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
>
> > But, if you are using stock 2.4.x-386, I think you also need to use
> > pivot_root to get root file system to mount as ext3
>
> All this is just _so_ much simpler than just compiling it into the
> kernel! I don't know _what_ I was thinking when I said I preferred
> compiling it in!

(I'll bite, even though I shouldn't)

In a normal situation, all that is necessary for mounting the root
partition as ext3 using the Debian supplied kernels and their modular ext3
support is:

- add initrd=/initrd.img or similiar entry to lilo.conf
- apt-get install kernel-image-<desired_version>
- update /etc/fstab

Yea, the above is _much_ simplier than recompiling the kernel.  Do
problems sometimes happen, yea.  Do they sometimes happen with compiling
custom kernels, yea.

If you'd bothered to read the bug report, you would have found that reason
for the problem is that the 386 version of the kernel appears to have (or
had) ext2 support compiled in and ext3 support compiled as a module.  If
the kernel had been compiled with both of them as modules the problem
would not exist.

So, again your point was what?

--
Jamin W. Collins