Re: Can't get fs recognized as ext3

Lance Simmons wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 01:58:43PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> > [...] if they have ext3 compiled as a module and want it to support
> > the root partition, they will have to either use an initrd image to
> > supply it to the kernel _or_ alternatively they can recompile it
> > directly into the kernel.
>
> A better way to put this would be to say that if they want to have an
> ext3 root partition, they will have to either compile ext3 support into
> the kernel, _or_, alternatively, they can compile ext3 as a module and
> be forced to use an initrd image.

Six of one, half-dozen the other. Which is easier depends where you're
coming from. If you already use an initrd and just don't happen to be
including ext3 in it, then obviously it's easier to add it.

I sense a FAQ coming on...

  Q. Why isn't my root fs mounting as ext3? I already ran tune2fs -j on
     it and updated /etc/fstab, and all my other volumes mount as ext3,
     but the root insists on remaining ext2.

  A. The problem is most likely that ext3 is not available when your
     root fs is being mounted, so the kernel defaults to ext2. You
     probably have ext3 built as a module. If you use initrd, then make
     sure the ext3 module is included in it. If you do not use initrd,
     recompile your kernel for built-in ext3 support (or start using
     initrd, making sure to include ext3).

Craig