Re: xhost + and xterm

On  0, John F Davis <johndavi@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to telnet from my debian linux pc to a aix machine and run
> xterms from the aix machine on my debian pc.   I have done xhost +,
> and I still get problems about not being able to connect to the display.
>
> Other facts:
>
> I have tried to use XDM to start the xsession instead of startx and it
> doesn't help.
>
> I have examined my DISPLAY setting on my local box (tadpole)  and it says
> DISPLAY=:0.0.  If I change the DISPLAY environment
> variable to DISPLAY=tadpole:0.0, I can not invoke an xterm on my local box!
> ie. if on tadpole, I do DISPLAY=tadpole:0.0 and then
> do xterm it will not work.  (I figure if this doesn't work, then the
> chances of me getting a remote xterm to work is pretty slim.)  If I set
> the DISPLAY variable back to DISPLAY=:0.0 and then invoke xterm it works
> ok.
>
> If I do a ssh -X to another debian box, I can invoke xterms back to
> tadpole.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Debian boxes (as of woody, I think) don't listen for X connections on
tcp.  You need to remove the '-nolisten tcp' from
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc
whichever you use.

The reason it works with ssh is that then the X calls go over an ssh
tunnel and the actual connection to the X server is made locally.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"If your  company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO
9000 then you definitely have no idea what it is."
	- Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au