unable to disable IPv6 for some reason

this is drivin me up the wall.

I just replaced 2 NICs in this system and recompiled the
kernel to support the new ones, and now when I try to run
bitchx I get the message 'Address family not supported by
protocol' when trying to connect to a server.

My kernel has no IPv6 support built in, I have never had
a kernel that had this. I can telnet to the server on
port 6667 no problem. I have scavenged around in
/etc to find anything that may do something with IPv6 and
can't find anything. I re-verified my kernel networking
options with another system and they are the same.

the error I get while doing a strace is:
socket(PF_INET6, SOCK_STREAM, 0)        = -1 EAFNOSUPPORT (Address family
not supported by protocol)

I've googled around and haven't found much.

I have another thing on the system that connects to irc
(called eggdrop) it too cannot connect, everytime it tries
it times out.

my kernel networking config:
#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
# CONFIG_NETLINK is not set
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY=y
# CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
#
# (it is safe to leave these untouched)
#
# CONFIG_INET_RARP is not set
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set

my IP is static. kernel is 2.2.19(same kernel as all my
other systems)

thanks

nate