Re: Is there an apt-get install log?

Jeremy Nickurak <atrus@rifetech.com> writes:

> There's always deborphan, which looks for packages on which nothing
> depends.
>
> apititude seems to somehow keep a list of which packages were installed
> because you wanted them, and which packages where installed simply to
> satisfy dependancies, and then removes such packages when the packages
> they were serving are removed. Personally I think this concept is
> fantastic, and that apt-get should have a similar function.

You also have debfoster. (see apt-cache show debfoster).

It keeps a database of "wanted" packages, and ask you wether you want to
keep packages that don't depend on anything.

First, you need to create a database of wanted packages (debfoster
-q). Then invoque debfoster after each apt-get or dpkg command.

Expample:
package foo depends on bar1 bar2 bar3

$ apt-get install foo
$ debfoster
foo is keeping 3 packages installed
  bar1 bar2 bar3
  do you want to keep foo?

Say yes, and that's it. Later, you decide that foo is not that cool

$ apt-get remove --purge foo
$ debfoster
keep bar1?
[Answer no]
keep bar2?
[Answer no]
keep bar3?
[Answer no]

And you get rid of everything related with foo.

Hope this helps,

Jaume