Re: adding new modules

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 18:34, Expert User wrote:
> I have a custom kernel 2.4.18 in my debian system. I wanted to add the
> I2C /proc system support to enable the lm-sensors. So I just did
> make menuconfig
> <Selected I2C and then /proc system support for I2c as a module>
> saved config.
> make dep
> make modules && make modules_install
>
> Is that enough or I also have to recompile and reinstall the kernel?

You're not doing it The Debian Way, but that's ok...
(Mostly) from /usr/src/linux/README :
   cd /usr/src/linux
   make clean
   make [old|menu|x]config
   make dep
   make bzImage
   make modules
   make modules_install

   cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.xx
   cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.xx

   /usr/sbin/lilo

Of course, /etc/lilo.conf must have a reference to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.xx,
but that goes without saying!  I like to do each step by hand
(i.e. not stringing them along the same command line with &&)
so that if there are errors, I know which step they come from.
Even processors from Y2K are SO fast that, with enough RAM,
each step is lightning-quick (compared to the bad old days...).

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| I can't make you have an abortion, but you can *make* me pay  |
| child support for 18 years?                                   |