Re: ssh /gnupg passwords storage

* Benedict Verheyen (linux4bene@pandora.be) [020806 08:21]:
> Hi,
>
> i have a question on security with regards to key pairs.
>
> I have created a keypair on my server so i can log on to me server from
> my pc. Do i leave the keypair in ~/.ssh or do i move them (especially
> the private key)? What is regarded as being a safe medium? CD-RW or
> anything not connected to the server i guess?

As someone else indicated: the private key should only be on your
local machine.  The server to which you are connecting only gets the
public key.  The public key is listed in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys .  That
is all that is needed on the server.  See below for discussion of non-HD
storage of the key.

> Same question could go for gnugp. I've only tested this with WinPT on
> my win machine at work. I suppose that once the keypair is generated,
> it would be safer to move the private key to another medium or do you
> leave the pair on the win 'puter.

Well, if you don't need it there, why did you generate it? ;-) If it's
convenient for you to pop in a CD every time you need to decrypt or sign
something (or log in anywhere, if we're talking about an SSH key), *and*
that that CD won't just be in the drive when someone roots your box
and/or the feds come and take it away, then yeah, I guess it's better.
If you just leave that CD in the drive anyway, you don't gain a whole
lot.

> I suppose encrypting the ssh key pair on the disk/cd where i would
> keep them would be overkill :-) ?

Yeah, I'd say so.  Just use Good passphrases on your private keys.
Mutliple encryptions add obscurity, but not necessarily security.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/