Re: adding new modules

expert@bapat.net (Expert User) writes:
> I have a custom kernel 2.4.18 in my debian system. I wanted to add
> the I2C /proc system support to enable the lm-sensors. So I just did
> make menuconfig <Selected I2C and then /proc system support for I2c
> as a module> saved config.
>
> make dep
> make modules && make modules_install
>
> Is that enough or I also have to recompile and reinstall the kernel?

Were I telling you to do it, I'd tell you to use the kernel-package
package to build a Debian package out of your kernel image.  The
procedure to build your kernel and get (i2c and) lm-sensors modules
would look like this:

  apt-get install fakeroot kernel-package lm-sensors-source (i2c-source)
  cd /usr/src
  rm -rf modules
  sudo tar xzf lm-sensors.tar.gz
 (sudo tar xzf i2c.tar.gz)
  cd linux-2.4.18
  make *config
  fakeroot make-kpkg --revision custom kernel-image
  fakeroot make-kpkg modules-image
  sudo dpkg --install ../*.deb

...but read /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.Debian for details of
what's actually going on.  You can use either the i2c distributed with
the kernel (arguably easier) or the version in the i2c-source package
(newer); the parenthesized bits of the instructions above install the
packaged version.

If you're set against using kernel-package, you can probably get away
without rebuilding the kernel proper here.  There are some
instructions in the lm-sensors package that might or might not work
for building the modules without the use of kernel-package; I don't
really support doing this.  You probably want to look at
/usr/share/doc/lm-sensors/INSTALL.gz for details.

	-- Abra Mitchell