php4 choking on xhtml

I'm losing hair over this one.

I'm running woody with apache, php4 and php4-domxml installed.
Everything is working as advertised except for one thing that has me
baffled.  The xml declaration(<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>) at
the top of all my well-formed strict xhtml 1.0 documents is causing a
parse error from PHP. Said pages work fine without the xml declaration
but then they are no longer well-formed.

A phpinfo() tells me that xml support is enabled as well as DOM
support.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple but I can't, for the
life of me, figure it out.