Re: Can't get fs recognized as ext3

* James Hughes <jhughes@kos.net>, 2002-08-06 20:18 -0400:
> Hello,
>
> I've done the following to get set up with ext3:
>
> Compiled support into kernel (as module)
> Run 'tune2fs -j /dev/hda6'
> Changed default fs type in fstab to 'ext3'
>
> cfdisk reports that the fs type for this partition is indeed
> ext3. However, dmesg reports:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
>
> And, judging from the lengthy fsck's I've had to endure due to X
> crashes/power button hits over the last couple days, I am not enjoying
> the benefits of a journalling filesystem that I've heard so much
> about.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Are you using kernel-image-2.4.18-386 like me? It doesn't work here
either. Package maintainer Herbert Xu told me it was a bug in the
initrd-tools package and to fixed in the future.

Bummer, since I have not problems with 2.4.18-686 on another
machine, just can't run it here. ext3 should really be comiled into
kernel-image-2.4.18-386 please!!!

-Andre