Re: How things work - was - Re: Sharing .deb archives

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 21:58, Paul Scott wrote:
> Erwin Burgstaller wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:59:48PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone know how I could share the archive of downloaded .deb files
> >>on my computer, with the other 4 debian boxes I have on my internal lan
> >>at my house? I have a dsl line, so it's not really a big problem to
> >>download the files multiple times, but it'd still be more convenient,
> >>especially when trying to upgrade from potato to woody. :-)
> >

> > Install apt-proxy.
>
> I installed apt-proxy some time ago and didn't quite get it to work and
> then didn't have the time to follow up.  I believe this is because I
> don't really know what it does.  I read all the documentation which told
> me what to do but since I don't really know what it does when something
> went wrong I didn't how to logically think about fixing it.  This is
> exactly the problem I have with iptables even though with help I was
> able to get a simple firewall.
>
> I am an experienced programmer and I will consider reading the source
> but can anyone suggest somewhere that explains how these things actually
> work?

I had the same problem when starting on some linux subjects. This was
during my initiation into Linux. What I found was that everyone thinks
differently in linux and tackled problems differently from the MS world
- which in my mind was a good thing cos problems were getting fixes
intead of just workarounds.

On the other hand, a lot of the stuff in linux was waaaayyyy too
powerful for a newbie to handle out of the box. I had to spend a few
days reading documentation from several different places to basically
understand how to get iptables to work and then fiddling about to
understand it better.

I think that netfilter.samba.org has a lot of details on how iptables
work like the Netfilter Hacking HOWTO.

HTH,

Shri