How things work - was - Re: Sharing .deb archives

Erwin Burgstaller wrote:
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:59:48PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:

Does anyone know how I could share the archive of downloaded .deb files
on my computer, with the other 4 debian boxes I have on my internal lan
at my house? I have a dsl line, so it's not really a big problem to
download the files multiple times, but it'd still be more convenient,
especially when trying to upgrade from potato to woody. :-)

Install apt-proxy.

I installed apt-proxy some time ago and didn't quite get it to work and then didn't have the time to follow up. I believe this is because I don't really know what it does. I read all the documentation which told me what to do but since I don't really know what it does when something went wrong I didn't how to logically think about fixing it. This is exactly the problem I have with iptables even though with help I was able to get a simple firewall.

I am an experienced programmer and I will consider reading the source but can anyone suggest somewhere that explains how these things actually work?

TIA,

Paul Scott