Can't get kppp going in Mandrake: is Debian dialup easier or more reliable to configure?

I've had a devil of a time getting kppp to connect me to my ISP in
Linux-Mandrake 8.2. I am curious if there's any reason to believe things
might go better in Debian GNU/Linux.

I get this "Couldn't find interface ppp0: no such device" upon running kppp
from terminal shell in KDE.  I've tried just about all the advice I can find
online, and nothing changes this basic error message. [In the connection
log, kppp exits on signal 15.]

I use very ordinary hardware and standard settings whereever possible. My
ISP (toast.net) uses CHAP, that's about the only unusual thing identified so
far. I have a long thread of my struggles on linuxnewbie.org,

 http://linuxnewbie.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=57465&goto=newpost

if any kind soul might be willing to take a look and diagnose my problem.
Many folks have tried to help - for which I am grateful - but none of their
advice has led to getting me beyond that same fundamental error each time.

I've spent dozens of hours trying to solve this, and am about to give up on
Linux for now. I think the OS is very promising, and I'd LOVE to leave
Microsoft behind, but I use the internet & email too much to bother with it
if I have to be limited to the desktop and printing. Before I give up,
however, I wanted to get the feedback of debian users. I know debian is
supposed to be the polar opposite of Mandrake as far as ease of use &
install, but I can't help being curious about debian, as it was endorsed by
one of my favorite authors (Neal Stephenson). I also like its noncommercial
appeal, its network of bug tracking, etc.

So tell me, will it only be more frustrating for a Linux newbie in Debian,
or have they got
these ISP dialup connections figured out?

carl, cawSPAMMENOT@toast.net

remove SPAMMENOT to reply