Re: Debian 3.0 r0 and VM Ware

<quote who="Doug MacFarlane">

> Team:
>
> I was tossing about the idea of installing VM Ware so I could avoid
> dual-booting for the balance of my dis-assimilation from the MSorg . . .
>
> Debian is not one of "supported" Linux distributions, but I have heard
> many references to it here, so I assume that one can run it anyway . . .

I've been running VMWare on debian since vmware first made public
beta a couple years ago..its always worked good for me. as another
poster noted use the tar/gz version. It helps if your compiling
your own kernel and have all the headers and stuff installed. I haven't
tried it on a debian system where I did not have my own custom kernel
compiled. it will probably work if you have the needed headers and
the devel tools to compile the modules. vmware is THE MOST solid
commercial application I have ever used. I am absolutely amazed at how
well it is made. And under linux is really fast. I helped a friend
install vmware 3.0 on his WinXP P3 with TNT2 video, and debian text
console was DOG slow. i mean it was like a SSH session at 9600bps.
constant video problems(we never setup X). Don't know if its related
to vmware since I hadn't tried the win32 version of vmware since their
public beta of 1.0 years ago. or maybe it was a driver problem ..

under linux though it rocks. It's nice to be able to boot 4 virtual
machines and simulate a network on 1 linux box. and have them all
work fast(P3-800 1GB ram)

nate