Re: exim configuration

Mark Roach wrote:
On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 11:47, Tom Allison wrote:

AFAIK Cron has no way of knowing when you are trying to save battery
life. Cron runs thing based on time. Anacron checks to see if your are
on AC power though. The solution to your problem is probably as simple
as removing /etc/cron.d/exim and copying /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim to
/etc/cron.daily. Is having exim run really affecting you though?

#time exim -q

real    0m0.498s
user    0m0.150s
sys     0m0.060s

I don't think this is going to be killing your battery very quickly

The problem is that every 15 minutes exim starts up and gets my hard drive running again. Shutting that down adds about 25% or 1 Hour to my battery life.

>>[...]A simply daily anacron
entry could clear out the queue, or changing this to 0 */4 * * * would suffice to. Right or Wrong? Anything I'm missing here?

Wrong. I don't think you can say that because a 24 hour retry period
works for you, that it is a reasonable default. Think about if your ISP
did it this way. Your particular needs may be different but there is
nothing stopping you from setting things up to your liking.

Agreed, but my notebook is not an ISP.  :)
If I understand exim correctly: If I have a message that missed it's mailing because it wasn't hooked up to the internet at the time. When I do hook up and send a mail message, exim will grab all other non-frozen messages and attempt to deliver them as well.

The frozen ones would have to wait for the cron job.
Alternatively, is there some way to make anacron run hourly?