Re: exim configuration

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 11:47, Tom Allison wrote:

> The second thing I noticed is that inetd.conf holds an entry for
> exim to answer the SMTP port queries.
>
> Given that this is true, there really isn't any need for the exim
> entry in /etc/init.d/ and the subsequent entries in /etc/rc#.d/.
> I removed them all using update-rc.d and found that exim still
> delivers and receives email just fine.  This might be considered a
> configuration option somewhere.  This is a bug that I have since
> reported since there is both a daemon and a inetd.conf listing.

If you look at the top of the exim initscript, it checks to see if exim
is set up to run from inetd and only starts the daemon version if it is
not. This is not a bug, this is an easy way for users to choose inetd vs
daemon mode. Besides that, the next time you upgrade exim, those files
will all be put back.

>  From the README.Debian file there is mention that I might change
> the /etc/cron.d/exim script.  What would I change it to so that
> the application, exim, does not keep trying to run when I'm trying
> to save battery life?

AFAIK Cron has no way of knowing when you are trying to save battery
life. Cron runs thing based on time. Anacron checks to see if your are
on AC power though. The solution to your problem is probably as simple
as removing /etc/cron.d/exim and copying /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim to
/etc/cron.daily. Is having exim run really affecting you though?

#time exim -q

real    0m0.498s
user    0m0.150s
sys     0m0.060s

I don't think this is going to be killing your battery very quickly

> I understand that it might be necessary to have a periodic command
> for 'exim -q' for everything that couldn't get delivered right
> away from the inetd instance of exim.  But every 15 minutes seems
> a bit much if you consider that often times power savings are
> often in junction with no internet connection  and therefore a
> longer delay would be reasonable.
>
> In any event, how would you modify the content of /etc/cron.d/exim
> as implied by this README.Debian file?  From all I can gather,
> changing the run times would benefit.  Other than that, I don't
> see much point in having it around at all.  A simply daily anacron
> entry could clear out the queue, or changing this to 0 */4 * * *
> would suffice to.  Right or Wrong?  Anything I'm missing here?

Wrong. I don't think you can say that because a 24 hour retry period
works for you, that it is a reasonable default. Think about if your ISP
did it this way. Your particular needs may be different but there is
nothing stopping you from setting things up to your liking.

-Mark