Re: custom kernel: how to make it bootable

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:08:56PM -0400, Andre Berger wrote:
> When booting, the kernel hangs at the cramfs(?), complaining not to
> be able to find the root partition. It seems my kernel wants to use
> an initrd.img that has not been created. What am I doing wrong?

Ahh yes, the debian default kernels use an initrd image to boot off. For
your own purposes, it's not really necessary to have this, unless you
have unusual hardware requirements. Do a make menuconfig, go into Block
Devices and set "Initial RAM disk (initrd) support" to No. Then compile,
install and you should find it's working now.

Initrd images allow a basic root image filesystem to be loaded off a
disk so that the kernel can load modules etc that enable it to talk to
the hardware that your real root fs is installed on. For some SCSI RAID
setups this is necessary. For general desktop use with IDE disks (or
SCSI) this really isn't necessary.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham

BOFH Excuse Board:
Someone thought The Big Red Button was a light switch.