Re: Making debs..

    >> > When I try "debian/rules binary" in a source directory >
    >> containing a /debian subdirectory and running as root I get >
    >> "permission denied"
    >>
    >> Did you check if it was executable?  That will give that error.
    >> rules is a shell script so you may need to chmod +x it.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> Marshal
    >>
    > Thanks, Did that and it ran and failed,no control file.

    > Its all part of the learning curve:-) I'll go RTFM some more,one
    > thing should the control file be part of the /debian dir in the
    > package or is that left as an exercise for the user?

It should be part of the /debian dir.  It's the file that contains all
the build-depends and information about the package.

What program are you trying to compile?  And if it has a /debian dir,
why doesn't it have a control file?

Anyways, it seems fairly easy to make.  The only hard part will be
figuring out all the depends, but I guess you can look at the config
file for that.

Take a look at the New Maintiner's Guide.

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-control

good luck!

Marshal