Making debs..

Hi,
I was wondering if there's an easy/quick way of making a .deb from source files.. For example I have the source of an xmms plugin in a tar file but when I try ./configure it says xmms is not installed (even though it is through the package system). I've had similar problems with getting other programs to compile. So is it possible to automagically make a deb file from some sources, getting the dependancies from the configure script (or something along those lines, I'm new to this stuff)? I read parts of the maint-guide but it seems pretty involved. I just want to quickly install an xmms plugin, not spend hours making a package for it. Any ideas?

Thanx,
Leo