Network members

How does the system determine what computers belong to a network?  For
example, given an exports entry like:

/share		*.domain.org

how does the system know whether a particular IP is part of that
network?

I have four static IPs x.y.z.117 - 120.  IP x.y.z.117 is sharing a
directory with an entry similar to the above.  x.y.z.119 can access the
share.  x.y.z.118 is explicitly denied - /var/logs/daemon.log shows an
"Unauthorized access by NFS client x.y.z.118" and "Blocked attempt of
x.y.z.118 to mount /share"
118 is listed by qualified and unqualified name in my hosts file.  I can
ping 118name and 118name.domain.org successfully from the machine
sharing the directory.

How do I tell it that x.y.z.118 is part of the domain, and why does it
recognize x.y.z.119 but not x.y.z.118?