Re: Messages when startup and shutdown

Q. Gong wrote:

Hi,

I tried to view in detail the messages output when Woody is started up
and shutdown. dmesg only show a part. How can I investigate ALL the
messages? Is there a document describing the startup and shutdown
processes in detail about Woody? Thanks a lot in advance.

Qian

There are two types of messages that flow by; kernel messages, which dmesg will repeat for you, and start-up script messages, which dmesg won't show (unless something in the script triggers a dmesg "log"). Some of these messages can be found in the system logs, but not necessarily, and they may be difficult to find.

Probably your best bet to see these messages is to press Shift-PageUp to scroll back through the previous screens. However, if you have an X session manager running, like kdm or gdm, as soon as the system switches to a different VT, the capability of scrolling back on VT1 disappears, so you may need to deactivate your X session manager in order to view those messages. This is, in my opinion, a shortcoming of Debian, but Debian has so few shortcomings, this one just adds to Debian's charm :-)

Kent