Re: Mutt/Tin/GNUMACS v. gnus/GNUMACS

<marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp> [2002-08-01 11:42:47 +0900]:

>     Paul> (Your indentation is a little bit strange...)
>
> eh?  How so?  I'm using superquote, or whatever it is in emacs.  I
> haven't adjusted the settings, so tell me what you find strange, and
> I'll take a look at it.

I agree with Paul.  The quoting is not particularly bad.  But usually
quoted text will be a set of "> " at the left edge.  Superquote is
putting the persons mail name in the first part with an indention.
That is frequently used when people are quoting several different
people in an interspersed way as a method of identifying each.  So it
is not an unheard of quoting style.  It is still seen frequently.  But
the four space indention on the front shifting everything to the right
is an odd addition.  I don't prefer it.  But not a terribly big deal
either way.

And, probably the real reason it looks odd, neither mutt nor emacs-vm
nor probably other mail readers recognizes the syntax of that quoting
style for me and so does not syntax highlight with color differences
the main text and the quoted text.  We have to look at it in plain old
black and white.  (Or whatever your basic foreground and background
colors happen to be.)  Which is unusual compared to the common method
of quoting which facilitates simple syntax coloring.  After using ansi
terminal color for a while you get adicted and don't want to go back
to that vt100 in the corner.  :-)

> Gnus is a pain to get set up.  But once it's set up, I haven't had
> much problems with it...

I never found it very difficult to set up.  But I hope it is faster
now.  It used to be terribly slow.  But otherwise I rather liked it.

Bob