Re: Full-screen editor in /bin

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [2002-07-31 19:31:20 -0700]:
> I realise there's a multitude of versions of both emacs and vi, but
> another thing that's always kind of bugged me about vi is you can
> never be quite sure what version you're going to be running, and

Yes.  It is really strange that things like vi are symlinked using the
"alternatives" system in Debian.  A sad thing really.

I use emacs when I am doing major things.  But I use vi for a quick
point and shoot editor.  The fingers have a hard time adjusting to
different editors and so it is extremely annoying when vi is symlinked
to vim or other similar, probably better, but certainly very different
editors.  I have been known to drop back to 'ed' at particularly
frustrating times.  When I type in vi I want vi and not vim!

Since them I have learned to select vi with this.

  update-alternatives --config vi

Then select nvi which is real vi that really should be the mandatory
version to be called vi.  Nothing against vim.  But if a user wants
vim they probably would type in vim.

> whether or not it's going to be self-documenting or documented at all
> (something that was more of a bane when I was working in the tech
> industry).  Meanwhile, you can pretty much assume that if a system has
> emacs, it's gonna be gnumacs at this point.

Unless it is xemacs, aka lucent emacs.  emacs is also in the
alternatives system so it could be anything.  Sigh.

Bob