Re: newbie network problem

At 07:52 AM 7/29/02 -0400, you wrote:
On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 01:01:47AM +0300, Johan Ehnberg wrote:
> This is how I remember it on a 7.2:
> On your RedHat box, with root privilegies, run
>
> setup
>
> Choose Firewall,
> customize it for your needs or turn it off if you don't need it. Your on
> your own here. And this might not even be the solution.
> Report back what you got. Also tell me what
>
> iptables -V

On the red hat 7.1 side, I issued a :
ipchains -L
It showed REJECT for nfs on tcp and another protocol. I found a "Firewall" tool in the KDE system menu. I held my nose, pressed the default button which seemed to set INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT to ACCEPT. The bottom line is that the machines are talking to each other now. I would like to install a second NIC setup a firewall and share a PPP connection with the internal network.
does anyone know of a good cookbook for working with ipchains.

> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Should be enough :) to rule out the firewall problem.

Another method is, through GNOME(presumably KDE too), find the
services utility, and shutdown iptables/ipchains... make sure
you uncheck them and hit save, else they will start up again.

--Frederick Heckel