Re: newbie network problem

Phil wrote:
At 08:46 PM 7/28/02 +0300, you wrote:

Phil wrote:

Anyone care to venture a guess:
I'm trying to network 2 Linux machines; 1 debian (potato r7), 1 red hat (7.1). Everything seems to be working on the server side( I have all 5 nfs daemons running, exports file seems to be correct, network hardware seems to work, I can ping each machine from the other, exportfs -a running) when I boot the red hat client host, it used to complain at boot and when issuing mount comands
mount: RPC: unable to receive: errno = connection refused
One of the directories I was trying to mount was the Windows partition on the server. I have since eliminated this directory and added several others in the exports file. Now I get the following error message at boot: on the client host
mount: RPC: unable to send; errno = network is unreachable
While issuing mount commands I now get no mount errors I do get timed out. AGAIN!, I can ping the machines. Can anyone point me in the right direction

You might want to check the RedHat firewall.

Forgive the stupid question:
        how,  where,
should I remove a package, modify a configuration, what would the firewall be called?

This is how I remember it on a 7.2:
On your RedHat box, with root privilegies, run

setup

Choose Firewall,
customize it for your needs or turn it off if you don't need it. Your on your own here. And this might not even be the solution.
Report back what you got. Also tell me what

iptables -V

shows on both boxes.
Something like:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Should be enough :) to rule out the firewall problem.

--
Johan Ehnberg
johan@ehnberg.net