Re: doused [FLAME] using editors = muscle memory [WAS: Re: Full-screen editor in /bin]

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:38:58PM -0700, ben wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 09:11 pm, Chris Kenrick wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Well, OK, intuitive is partly a function of "it's like something I've
> > used before", be that muscle memory or a menu system.  As for an emacs
> > versus vi flame war, I virtually implied that emacs is more featureful
> > than vi, even though I'm a vi(m) fan.  Plus I mentioned an alternative
> > (nedit) in the bit you snipped.
> >

> how new is your current version of nedit? i liked how it looked up to about
> nine months ago, when it seemed to become weirdly crash susceptible. my
> disillusionment had such a hold that i didn't even consider a bug report. i
> actually expected it to die, of it's own accord, and be dead, by now. does it
> really never disappoint?

I haven't looked at nedit in ages, but whenever I last looked it seemed
pretty good.  Seems to be actively maintained, at least according to the
web page (version 5.3 out 10 July 2002).  The version packaged in stable
is 5.2 (released 29 Oct 01).  I'm quite happy with vim, but would
probably point a fairly new Unix user in nedit's direction.

- Chris