RE: the older debian user; Debian Senior

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug MacFarlane [mailto:madmac@covad.net]
>>madmac - I'm staring 39 in the face, and finding that it's not so much
that I
>>get confused more often, but that I now lack the tenacious persistence in
>>finding a solution.   Is a readier willingness to say, aw fuck it, a trait
>>of aging????

Well, somehow I find that I'm a heckuva lot busier at 57 than I was at my
mid-20s, even my mid-30s.  The nature of the commitments have changed.  Part
of it is indeed "intensity", but our bodies become less "elastic" over time.
Before, say, 35 I could do just about anything I wanted time-wise as long as
I could make up the deficit on the week-end.

Now...  no way.  If I pull the stunts that I did in my 20s through early 30s
the next thing I know my throat is getting scratchy, my eyes red, and I know
it's time to back off.  This doesn't allow me to be as "intense" as I once
was.  All that said, I can say that I'm still as curious as I once was,
albeit less idealistic, even around software.

In a true sense time does "run" out in this sense: while a person may still
have a lot of years left when he/she is only 30 what happens for most of us
is that people we care about - kid and grand kids - are rapidly going
through change.  We can't just park em on a shelf and say, "I'll get back to
them when I'm just done with...".  They learn to live without us.

Still I was amazed to see the number of people older than me who are hacking
with this stuff.  Good show!!!!  Besides at older ages sometimes it's nice
to feel "newbie" at *something*! ;-)   Heck, my 85 year old dad can't live
without his computer now.

Cheers all - young and old(er),
-rick