Re: fernando: Mail delivery error

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 05:01:40PM -0700, ben wrote:
| On Tuesday 30 July 2002 04:26 pm, Craig Dickson wrote:
[...]
| > Problem is, I don't think the list server is seeing these bounces;
| > they're being sent directly to the original sender of each message.

Nah, how does the receiver know the _original_ sender?  It just
assumes that the From: header contains the address where bounces
should go.  Or, in other words, that server doesn't understand SMTP
and the difference between the envelope and the message itself.
Someone needs to tell that postmaster to go read some RFCs and then
get some working software.

| > The list server, therefore, has no idea that there is a problem.

Correct.

| it seems like it should be a reasonable request that obviously
| abandoned addresses be deleted from the subscriber list.

It is, but if the server never gets a rejection from that address, how
is it supposed to know?

| does anyone have a clue how to achieve this?

Yep.  Fake the bounces.  <grin>  Overwhelm the MLM with forged bounces
from the errant site so that the address is automatically removed from
the list(s).  I haven't tested this, and maybe the MLM attempts to
detect a forged bounce.  If it does, then you can't do anything except
a combination of filtering on your end and trying to introduce the
site's postmaster to SMTP.

HTH,
-D

--
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/